Lucky you! You’ve been invited to a cookout and you’ll be surrounded by good friends and wonderful food. Problem is…what side dish do you bring with you? I have an awesome side dish you can make in less then 20 minutes that tastes incredible. I’m a little wacky and I love to find a unique side dish that I can make for each and every cookout during the entire summer. I make a different recipe each summer and this year it is the Feta and Artichoke Pasta Salad!
With this dish already in my arsenal, I can stock up on all of the prepackaged ingredients (pasta, canned artichokes, olives, sun dried tomatoes) when I find them on sale, so when a party pops up on my social calendar, I only need to purchase 3 fresh ingredients! Having a summer cookout plan is one of my Bite Sized Biggies. This recipe was introduced over at my Facebook group, Yummy Recipe Sharing. Come over and join us if you love sharing and learning incredible recipes.
- Prepackaged ingredients:
- 1 pound farfalle
- 1 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained (1/4 cup oil reserved), chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- 1 cup canned quartered artichokes, drained, and cut into eighths
- Fresh ingredients:
- 2 ounces crumbled feta (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh basil cut in half
- 1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat.
- 2. While water is warming up, chop your tomatoes, garlic basil and artichokes.
- 3. Cook pasta until al dente, 11 minutes or as package label directs. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking water. Return pasta to pot.
- 4. Toss pasta with sun-dried tomatoes and reserved oil, olives, feta, garlic, and artichokes. If mixture seems dry, add pasta water a few tablespoons at a time. Add the basil right before serving.
I love this pasta salad because it really goes with any type of food served at a cookout. It’s flavorful and keeps well outdoors for a few hours since it contains no mayo. You can eat this hot or cold, AND you can turn it into a main dish by adding cooked diced chicken or shrimp. Since it contains an entire pound of pasta, it feeds at least 8 side portions, but don’t expect to have leftovers because this will quickly disappear at a cookout!
Enjoy and save for your next summer event. If you’re hungry for more delicious cookout recipes, check out these 18 Fast, Easy and YUMMY Cookout Side Dish Recipes!