Let’s start by saying that Disney World is a such magical place your trip will be awesome, no matter WHAT you wear. But after a few visits over the past years, I noticed people go ALL out on buying matching Disney shirts to celebrate the trip. We decided to join in the fun and I made our shirts for our most recent trip. This project was not only super simple, it was inexpensive. Best of all, my family wore them without complaint, since they were custom made to meet each person’s design preferences. Simply follow these easy steps to create your own family’s custom made shirts that suit all of your mouse-tastic crew.
- These free Mickey Mouse patterns. Small (for babies), Medium (for kids), Large (for adults)
- Shirts that fit the whole family. Matching or not, it’s your call!
- Scrap for pants (red is optional color) measuring 9″ x 5″
- Scrap for ears (black is optional color) measuring 9″ x 5″
- Small scrap for buttons (gold is optional color) measuring 2″ x 2″
- Heat n Bond Lite (aff) iron-on adhesive (this will allow you to applique stitch on top of the fabric)
- Coordinating thread
- Disney font. Download your favorite one here
- Iron on image (aff) transfer sheets
- Wash and iron your shirt.
- Download and print out the FREE Mickey Mouse Pattern.
- Cut out the patterns (including the buttons) WITHOUT adding a seam allowance.
- Sew together the 9″ ends of the pant and ear fabric, then press the inside seam towards the darker fabric.
- Trace the pattern onto the back of the fabric.
- Cut out the fabric.
- Carefully follow the instructions of the Heat n Bond to iron your applique onto the shirt.
- Next, top stitch the applique onto each shirt.
- Download your font and print each name (or title) onto an iron on transfer sheet. Make sure you follow the instructions carefully and remember to print the mirror image of your text.
- Continue following the transfer sheet instructions while ironing the name onto the shirt.
Viola! Your entire family will now have fabulous Disney shirts to wear on a magical day and also have a special souvenir. Best of all, this project uses little fabric, so it’s great for busting your fabric stash. Feel free to be creative with your fabric choices and you can also embellish with a bow for the little ladies in your family. Have a magical day!