A couple of years ago, I entered into a love affair… with sriracha. Thankfully, it fit right into my marriage and now my husband is head over heels as well! I use it often. Like, really often. The other day, I cooked too much chicken for a batch of traditional chicken salad, so I set some aside. Then, I decided to experiment. What if there were a chicken salad with an Asian flair? So, I mixed up this recipe in a small batch to taste and when it was gone, I almost licked the bowl. The flavor combo was just what my mouth was wanting.
Mix up a batch and see what you think!
Gather ingredients (see recipe for complete list)
Mix the wet ingredients and ginger to make your sauce.
Toss in the cabbage and sliced green onions and coat them with the sauce.
Slowly mix in the shredded chicken and stir until coated. Then add cashews.
- To save time, use this trick for shredding your chicken!
- If it seems to dry, mix up a little more sauce. Too saucy? Add more chicken and cabbage.
- The cashews get a little soggy the next day. If that’s a problem for you, leave them out of the initial batch and add them as a garnish when you serve.
- A different crunchy ingredient option is water chestnuts.
- If you normally like grapes/apples in your chicken salad, try this with cut up mandarin oranges.
- Too spicy? Go easy on the sriracha. Adding a little more mayo and soy sauce helps, too.
- Try more sriracha recipes. Find some delicious ones, click here.
- Serve with fried won tons for an added Asian touch.
Sriracha Chicken Salad
- 4 c. shredded chicken
- 2 c. shredded cabbage
- 2 small green onions, sliced (onions and stems)
- 3/4 c. cashews
- 1 c. plain Greek yogurt or mayonnaise
- 1/2 c. soy sauce (I use low sodium)
- 2 Tbsp. rice vinegar (optional - I like the flavor it adds)
- 2 Tbsp. sriracha
- 2 tsp. grated fresh ginger
- In a large bowl, mix together ginger, yogurt/mayo, soy sauce, rice vinegar and sriracha.
- Toss the cabbage and green onions in the dressing mixture until evenly coated.
- Slowly mix in the chicken, stirring until dressing is well distributed. Add chicken in batches to make sure the chicken/dressing ratio is to your liking.
- Toss in cashews.
- Grab a fork!
Pin this post to save it for later!